Capsule Castaways behind-the-scenes picture post

While I'm posting pictures of the making of things, it's only fair that I post some Capsule Castaways work-in-progress pics. These are all from the first series of Capsule Castaways which I made in the summer of 2019. For this toy series, I tried to do as little shaping of the wood pieces as possible and instead attempted to "figure out" what the tiny bits already were (people, cars, houses, etc). It felt almost like doodling with wood, if that makes sense?


I was only able to make these the way that I did, because I had kept all of the little cast-off bits leftover from previous wood toys. A couple of the finished pieces were too good to let go, so my wife and I each decided to kept our favorites. I kept this orange one below and she kept the purple bookworm underneath it.


But the rest were up for grabs and there wasn't really a stinker in the bunch (but I might not be entirely objective in this matter). Looking back through these pictures, I'm getting a creative charge from all of the very good shapes and faces. I gotta remember to paint frowny faces more often, because those turned out great! :-<


When the toys were finished, they were placed inside their little capsules and then laid to rest (i.e. sold) in a small plastic basket I've had since I was a boy. How have I managed to hold onto this basket for so long you ask? I cannot provide a satisfying answer to that question at this time... Good day to you! *and with that, the artist jumps up and dashes away - you find yourself alone again...it's cold and quiet, but then comes the faintest echoing sound of a whispered phrase, "tiny toys - tiny toys - tiny toys," it repeats over and over again - what does it mean? Only time will tell... (but honestly, it's probably just the artist creeping around a corner somewhere mumbling about tiny toys, you know? That feels about right.)*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Potato Pirate!